Tools Every Jewelry Maker Must OwnOne of the great things about making jewelry is that you need very few tools. You can start with just a few and add to your workbench as your skills and focus grow.
What I consider mandatory hand tools required are listed below. You cannot be successful in making jewelry without these four jewelry making hand tools. You can find a flush cutter, round nose pliers and chain nose and bent chain nose tools in many of the kits I sell here on eBay.
- Flush Cutter (for cutting wire)
- Round Nose Pliers (for making loops)
- Chain Nose Pliers and
- Bent Chain Nose Pliers (2) (for grasping, holding and bending wire)
As you begin to make more jewelry, I suggested you consider adding the following tools to your collection:
- Nylon Jaw Pliers (for straightening wire and flattening wire components)
- Step Jaw Pliers (for making loops with standard sizes)
- Chasing Hammer (for hardening wire components)
- Anvil or Bench Block (for hardening wire components)
- Cup Bur (for rounding the end/removing the burrs on cut wire)
- Loop Closing or Link Closing Pliers (for closing loops)
- I also recommend a Wig Jig jewelry making jig. For making jewelry the most versatile jig is the Wig Jig Centaur. I also recommend a selection of Super Pegs and the Spiral Maker for the jig you choose.
One last comment: always buy the best tools you can afford. Quality tools will make your work easier and faster and of higher quality. Cheap tools will have to be replaced over and over while quality tools will last a lifetime.
Want to Go Shopping?
Not only do I carry a huge selection of jewelry making tools, equipment, supplies, books and DVDs, but I use these tools every day so I can help you find exactly what you need in my store Purveyor of All Things Creative.
Want to Learn More?
Check out the almost 100 eBay Guides I've written for information about all aspects of jewelry, beading, knitting, spinning, weaving and more.