Where does Kotulas charge sales tax?
Kotula’s currently collects sales tax on purchases shipped to all states and territories except: Alaska, American Samoa, Arizona, Delaware, Guam, Idaho, Montana, New Hampshire, New Mexico, North Marianas Islands, Oregon, and Virgin Islands. If you have a valid tax-exemption claim, you must send us a properly completed exemption certificate before ordering.
Why does Kotulas charge sales tax?>
Kotulas is owned and operated by Northern Tool + Equipment Company which has retail locations and warehouses across several different US States. These physical "brick and mortar" locations create tax nexus in these states. Under state and federal laws, Kotulas is required to charge sales tax on purchases shipped to these states regardless of where the item is shipped from.
What if I am tax exempt?
If you are tax exempt and have a tax exempt number issued by your state of residence we will remove the sales tax from your purchase. However, in order to ensure that we are following tax law and regulation in each state we require an exemption form to be filled out and sent to Northern prior to completing your purchase. To find the correct form for your state, go to http://www.Northerntool.com/shop/tools/help_policies under the "Will I need to pay sales tax on my purchases?" header. Please complete the correct form for the exemption you are claiming and fax to:(952) 894-4714or mail to:Kotulas, Attn: Tax, P.O. Box 1219, Burnsville, MN 55337
Important points to remember:
- Please make sure all required fields are completed including the type of exemption you are claiming. Incomplete forms will not be accepted.
- A copy of your business sales tax permit is not an acceptable substitute for the state-approved form.
- If you are purchasing items for your own use, we cannot accept a resale exemption certificate. You must pay sales tax on these items.
- Farmers - please note that some states do not allow agricultural exemptions for many of the items Kotulas sells. Please consult your tax advisor before submitting an exemption certificate.
What about Use Tax in States Where Kotulas Does Not Collect Sales Tax?
- Kotulas does not collect sales or use tax in other states.
- Purchases are subject to use tax in other states unless exempt from taxation in those other states.
- The purchase is not exempt merely because it is made over the Internet, on eBay or by Catalog.
- Other states will require customers to report their purchases that were not taxed and pay use tax on those purchases. Customers should check their state's reporting requirements for tax forms to be used for this purpose.
More tax related questions?
Our customer care department will be happy to answer your questions regarding sales tax. Please call us at 1-800-222-5381 (7AM to 6PM Central Time, Monday - Friday)(8AM to 2PM Central Time, Saturday)
Copyright © 1996-2018 Kotulas All Rights Reserved.